Birdy Tg Bio
Birdy Tg Photography – Visual Art
“Visual Poems and Dramas”
Birdy Tg is a French multimedia artist (photographer, painter, sculptor), writer (novelist, philosophical essayist, poet) and music author/composer. Passionate from his younger age by Art in any of its forms, beside Literature and Art studies, he has also become a Doctor of Science. A quite unusual career path leading to an atypical body of Art. Birdy Tg is, first of all, a storyteller and a philosopher.
Birdy Tg uses his numerous skills, each its turn according to what he wants to emotionally express into the best way, each skill being complementary of the other and never a repetition of another. He never uses Visual Art as a simple illustration of his novels or his music (and vice versa) but as an allegorical enhancement to go further and deeper into the artistic purpose. Birdy Tg peculiarly loves the symbiosis and the synergy it brings so, helping him in his constant quest of a renewal of the 19th century Total Art Concept.
Art critics describe Birdy Tg 's art as conceptual, philosophical, narrative, allegorical, oneiric, romantic, symbolic and encoded. His artworks often question on human nature and its weaknesses, human soul and its emotions, and on the great mysteries that man has always had to face through history, art, literature, philosophy, psychology, religion and science.
In his visual works, Birdy Tg much often uses photography in a non-conventional manner. He mostly uses photography pixels as a painter works on his canvas with pigments and brushes. Moreover, he often gladly mixes painting, drawing, and photography altogether.
His artistic goal is to recreate the splendour of the detail, the keen eye for it, the exuberance of keys and codes that made the great days of Classical Painting, but in a very contemporary expression, using all of the latest photography technologies and including new ones he patiently invents and develops. He certainly masters any kind of photography technics, from silver to numeric, from fashion runways to studio portraits, outside landscapes to architecture, from raw street shots to very specialized collage compositions.
His favourite visual expression and skill are very large format mixed media complex frescoes in which he can include up to several thousands of single photographs together and require up to 6 full months of constant work for a single artwork, making his collage technic one of the most unique and achieved in the world. Birdy Tg ’s work requires a lot of time for its preparation and all the necessary preparatory shots, but even more for its implementation and finalization. Everything must be perfectly planned from the very beginning. There is no accident in his art. This is how he can create virtual sceneries made of thousands of small realities and make them becoming an evident ever-existing truth.
His very large formats lead the viewer inside his personal universe, into a full-immersion experience, and involve the viewer into a true treasure hunt thanks to the numerous encoded details. With the help of all the clues, evidence and artistic references inside his artworks, Birdy Tg leads the audience to become true actors involved into the search then to take a stand about the underlying philosophical problematic he submits.
Escaping from all traditional classifications, far from what is usually given to see in the nowadays tidal wave of images, Birdy Tg’ s unique style can easily be recognized at once. This is of course a very intellectual body of work, with many different layers of lecture, from the first aesthetic level up to the most hermetic one, in which everyone, from children to art aesthetes and specialists, can easily find his own pleasure and interest.
Sandrine Gulian – Official biographer of the artist
- BRONZE MEDAL WINNER at TOKYO INTERNATIONAL FOTO AWARDS (Tifa) 2017
« Fine-Art » Category for « Lux Ex Tenebris ».
- HONORABLE MENTION at TOKYO INTERNATIONAL FOTO AWARDS (Tifa) 2017
Portfolio Category for « Echoes of Outer Voices and Subtle Clues » series.
- 1st PRIZE at GALA PHOTOGRAPHY AWARDS – 11th POLLUX AWARDS (2018)- USA
“Alternative Process” Category for « Echoes of Outer Voices and Subtle Clues » series.
- 2nd PRIZE at GALA PHOTOGRAPHY AWARDS – 11th POLLUX AWARDS (2018)- USA
“Open Theme” Category for « Echoes of Outer Voices and Subtle Clues » series.
- HONORABLE MENTION at GALA PHOTOGRAPHY AWARDS – 11th POLLUX AWARDS (2018)- USA - “Manipulation/Collages” Category for « Echoes of Outer Voices and Subtle Clues » series.
- HONORABLE MENTION at GALA PHOTOGRAPHY AWARDS – 11th POLLUX AWARDS (2018)- USA - “Fine-Art” Category for « Echoes of Outer Voices and Subtle Clues » series.
- « 1st International Paris Photography Art Fair » – La 4ème Image – Solo Exhibition : « Drawing my Line » - Paris - FRANCE 2013
- « 2nd International Paris Photography Art Fair » - La 4ème Image – Solo Exhibition : « In the Garden of God and the Devil" - Paris - FRANCE 2014
- « Celina Art Gallery » - « I Hold My Line » Solo Exhibition - LUXEMBOURG 2014
- « Galerie 44 Kléber" - Solo Exhibition - Paris - FRANCE 2015
- « Corridor Elephant Exhibition » - Paris - Birdy Tg exhibition (August 16 – Sept 14, 2016)
- « Birdy Tg Restrospective » - Art Factory - Paris - FRANCE 2017
In 2015, Birdy Tg decided to stop all kind of Exhibitions for the coming 3 years to exclusively concentrate on his new books and new visual series (he just kept his main retrospective show that were scheduled for a long time). He will exhibit again from the second part of 2018.
- « The Story of the Creative. » International Fine Art Exhibition - New York City Gallery and Long Island City Gallery - NYC - USA 2013
- « Herrmann Gallery » - Drachselsried - GERMANY 2013
- « Arte Fotografica » - Lisboa - PORTUGAL 2013
- « Angel Orensanz Foundation for Contemporary Art » - Group Exhibition - NYC - USA 2013
- « 1st International Paris Photography Art Fair » – La 4ème Image Galerie Arts Factory - Paris - FRANCE 2013
- Celina Art Gallery - « Art Chi Textures » - Group exhibition - LUXEMBOURG 2014
- « 2nd International Paris Photography Art Fair » - La 4ème Image – Galerie Arts Factory - Paris - FRANCE 2014
- Galerie Arts Factory – « Les artistes de la Galerie » - Paris - FRANCE 2014
- « Soirée des Ambassadeurs » Exposition - Rueil Malmaison - FRANCE 2015
- « Exposure » by See.me - Le Louvre Museum - Paris - FRANCE 2015
- Arts Factory Gallery - "Les Artistes de la Galerie" - Paris - FRANCE 2015
- « 3rd International Paris Photography Art Fair – La 4ème Image – Arts Factory Gallery - Paris - FRANCE 2015
- « Domus » Exhibition by Arts Factory – Paris - FRANCE December 2015
- « Domus » Exhibition by Arts Factory – Paris - FRANCE March/June 2016
- « Mega Art Gallery Artists » – Mega Art Gallery - Roma – ITALY October/November 2017
- « TIFA Winners – Best of Show » - ICA Gallery, Tokyo – JAPAN – May 2018
- Museum Of Contemporary Arts Beijing – Beijing – CHINA – August 8 / September 28, 2018
- Invited Guest to the 5th Biennial of Fine Art & Documentary Photography – Barcelona – SPAIN October 4 / October 21, 2018.
In 2015, Birdy Tg decided to stop all kind of Exhibitions for the 3 coming years to exclusively concentrate on his new books and new visual series (he just kept his main retrospective show that were scheduled for a long time). He will exhibit again from the second part of 2018.
PRESS PUBLICATIONS, BOOKS & MONOGRAPHIES
- Arte Fotografica Magazine N°58 – Front Cover and special personal 12 Pages Portfolio Lisboa – Portugal 2013
- « Drawing My Line » Birdy Tg Monograph - 212 pages monograph book – 2013
- « Fragantica » - Exhibition in a showcase – Sergey Borisov –« Violette Fumée »Serie- 2013
- « La 4ème Image » Catalog – October 2013
- Platform 58 Art Magazine N°73 – England 2014
- Platform 58 Art Magazine N°75 – England 2014
- Platform 58 Art Magazine N°77 – England 2014
- Platform 58 Art Magazine N°81 – England 2014
- Bayerische Welt : « Birdy Tg breaks all the Photography limits we used to know before… » - by Art Critic Hans Herrmann - July 13, 2014
- « I Hold My Line » Birdy Tg Monograph - 380 pages monograph book in 2 volumes – 2014 – Birdyland Editions
- « La 4ème Image » exhibition catalog – October 2014
- Luxemburger Wort: Birdy Tg Solo Exhibition « I Hold My Line » by Art Critic Nathalie Becker ( « Birdy Tg : Real visual Poems » ) – November 26, 2014.
- « Exposure Art Photography Collection » - Artists Book – 2015
- « La 4ème Image » Catalog – October 2015
- "In the Garden of God and the Devil" – The Novel by Birdy Tg - Issue end 2016
- "In the Garden of God and the Devil" - Monograph - Birdy Tg: Photography, painting, sculpture. Issue 2016
- Corridor Elephant magazine (France/International web mag) : Birdy Tg (August 16, 2016).
- IAM : Italian ART MAGAZINE : Birdy Tg Photography – Visual Art – “Visual Poems, Tales and Dramas” - October 2017
- November 23, 2017: Web article about Birdy Tg on IDEAS DE RUA - BRAZIL (contains many pics including my latest artworks)
- « Echoes of Outer Voices and Subtle Clues » – first of a 5 volumes Monograph on Birdy Tg by Corridor Elephant Editions. Volume 1: 250 pages book including Birdy Tg’s Literature and Visual Art (Photography, mixed media, Painting). September 2018.
- - -
The German Art Critic, Hans Herrmann, writes about Birdy Tg:
“Birdy Tg pushes further and breaks for well all the Photography limits we used to know before… His Art is unique in the World!”
“…Birdy Tg’s style is very unique and strong, escaping to all traditional classifications, far from what is usually given to see in the nowadays tidal wave of images.
Meanwhile, if a classification is needed, his photography could be described as Lyrical, Poetic, Oneiric, Allegorical and Romantic. He, himself, always describes his photographs as Visual Poems and Dramas.
Whatever, we are in presence of a body of artwork, in no way coincidental, but extremely meticulous and thought, and which makes think.
Each of the smallest details, even the most hidden ones, provides yet more evidences to serve the underlying philosophical comment. Most of his artworks are stuffed of coded messages but also of a bunch of literature, painting, cinema, photography references and work as a true treasure hunt for those who want to go further…
There is for sure the prime impact of the skill then always the possibility to dive deeper in Birdy Tg’s endless world… Birdy Tg uses a lot of different photography techniques, drawing and paintings that he patiently mixes in very large format frescoes. Some of his most recent works (in 2014) include more than 800 photographs in a single artwork which required over several thousand hours to produce.
Those large photographic « collages » use the most recent techniques of post-production to create what he describes as « Virtual Realities »:
« I want the viewer to be in front of a scene, of course virtual, but, made of hundreds small realities all linked together, it finally soon appears as a whole true and authentic entity, telling the story I want to lead the viewer in.» (Birdy Tg)
His photography often plays with a rich palette of dark tones and focused light in a very elegant way, his aesthetics being not without reminding the classic Japanese Art by the whole aestheticism but also for the rigour of the global construction of the artwork
With no contradiction, there is in Birdy Tg, all of the fiddly profusion and the creative genius madness of Hieronymus Bosch or Richard Dadd, but also all of the German Romanticism, inside his palette, the lights ripping out the obscurity, the characters facing the elements and their own fears, the strong print of Literature and Philosophy, of the Irrational and the Utopia… It’s certainly not a hazard if Joseph Anton Koch and Birdy Tg, both, give worship to Dante Alighieri and his “Divine Comedy”, if Birdy Tg Pays homage to Eduard Biermannn with is work “Salvation”, if we feel so well the Caspar David Friedrich ‘s atmospheres in many works like “A Secret Universe” or “The Secret of Cloud Cities” … One can’t do otherwise than thinking about the “Oeuvre Totale” (“Total Magnum Opus”) concept so close to Philipp Oto Runge’s heart when Birdy Tg champions a visual art work which makes one and only one with his music, his writing, his painting, his sculpture in lauding: “Art is One and Indivisible. All is One and one is All” (Birdy Tg – 2014).
It’s also very interesting to notice furthermore than Birdy Tg’s work often refers to numerous German Artists as the expressionist Franz Von Stuck to whom Birdy Tg pays tribute in “Eine berlinische Nostalgie” (“Remember Berlin” Serie), or the Sculptors Rudolf Belling in “Drawing the Line” (“Time Flies” Serie) and Waldemar Grizmek for who he devotes the “Ages of Life” full Serie.
Birdy Tg’s artistic expression is definitively modern and contemporary. I personally have the feeling that he could tackle any style, making it His Style, with verve thanks to his obvious wide artistic culture. This is precisely what I had the chance to confirm when I recently saw for the first time his new Serie: “In the Garden of God and the Devil” in which I discovered brand new art works in which he has mixed with success and no contradiction at all, so many different styles together as Baroque, Caricature, Surrealism, Minimal Art, in the most natural way.
There is this permanent ferment, this incessant renewal, this constant fresh air, this perpetual questioning, this endless risk-taking and meanwhile this undisputable style homogeneity. Everything hit the target, as it happens.
This is most surely what makes Birdy Tg’s style so unique…” (Hans Herrmann – Art Critic – Germany 2014)
The Art Critic from Luxembourg, Nathalie Becker writes about Birdy Tg into « The Luxemburger Wort »:
“True Visual Poems: Birdy Tg shows his very unique and powerful style at the Celina Gallery (see the whole press article: November 26, 2014): “True visual poems, strong and unusual artworks, processed as freeze frames…; oneiric, baroque, surrealist frescoes…; with an incredible luminist and metaphorical style, Birdy Tg establishes himself as a genius conjurer who leads the viewer into the story he wants to tell him…” (Nathalie Becker – 2014)
The French Art Critic and Professor at the French Fine Art Academy, Eric Vivié states in 2015:
“… Birdy Tg is undoubtedly the leader of the diegetic and lyrical conceptual art movement for Photography…” (Eric Vivier – 2015)